In 2010, a Florida pastor with just a few dozen followers attracted international media coverage when he announced plans to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11. By taking the bait, media outlets became complicit in advancing his hate-filled agenda, making Terry Jones a household name in the U.S. and far beyond. […]
Reporting guides on Islam
Source guides on Islam
Learn more about the innovative religious communities working to serve people who feel out of place in traditional worship services.
Food plays a big role in Ramadan. But food waste shouldn’t, according to a growing number of Muslims.
In 2019, the New Jersey Legislature passed a law legalizing medically assisted suicide. Several other states debated similar measures.
Stylebook entries on Islam
- A robelike garment worn by some women who are Muslims. It is often black and may be a caftan or fabric draped over the shoulders or head. It is sometimes worn with a hijab and/or a niqab. See burqa.
- The practice of ritual washing in a religious rite to cleanse a person of sin or disease, to purify, or to signify humility or service to others. In Christianity, baptism and foot-washing are both forms of ablution. In liturgical churches, ablution can refer to purifying fingers or vessels related to the Eucharist. In Islam, ablution is ritual washing, known as wudu, before prayer. In Judaism, immersion in a mikvah is a form of ablution.
- The Islamic call to prayer.
- Ahl al-Kitab
- Used in the Quran to refer to Jews and Christians; Arabic for “People of the Book.”
- An eighth-century mosque in the old city of Jerusalem. Arabs sometimes use the term to designate the surrounding area; Jews refer to that area as the Temple Mount.
Organizations on Islam
Green Muslims seeks to inspire Muslims to educate themselves about the environment and be stewards of the earth. It works with mosques and Muslim student associations across the U.S.
The Inner City Muslim Action Network is a small nonprofit serving Chicago’s South Side and Southwest communities. Prisoner re-entry is among its programs.
Amana Funds are mutual funds designed to meet the needs of Muslim investors.
Muslim Peace Fellowship was founded in 1994 as one of the first Muslim organizations specifically devoted to the theory and practice of Islamic nonviolence. Contact through the form on the group’s website.
Masjid Abdul Muhsi Khalifah is a Brooklyn, N.Y., mosque with a Facebook page where members discuss everything from World Cup Soccer to current events and religious issues.