Catastrophic extreme weather events like droughts, floods and wildfires impact communities across the world as leaders continue to grapple with balancing energy needs and the global push for climate action. Although skepticism persists, a broad swath of faith communities advocate for policy change, fight for climate justice, establish creation care ministries, embrace solar energy, plant gardens […]
Reporting guides on Islam
Source guides on Islam
Learn more about the innovative religious communities working to serve people who feel out of place in traditional worship services.
Food plays a big role in Ramadan. But food waste shouldn’t, according to a growing number of Muslims.
In 2019, the New Jersey Legislature passed a law legalizing medically assisted suicide. Several other states debated similar measures.
Stylebook entries on Islam
- A robelike garment worn by some women who are Muslims. It is often black and may be a caftan or fabric draped over the shoulders or head. It is sometimes worn with a hijab and/or a niqab.
- The practice of ritual washing in a religious rite to cleanse a person of sin or disease, to purify, or to signify humility or service to others. In Christianity, baptism and foot-washing are both forms of ablution. In liturgical churches, ablution can refer to purifying fingers or vessels related to the Eucharist. In Islam, ablution is ritual washing, known as wudu, before prayer. In Judaism, immersion in a mikvah is a form of ablution.
- The Islamic call to prayer.
- Ahl al-Kitab
- Used in the Quran to refer to Jews and Christians; Arabic for “People of the Book.”
- An eighth-century mosque in the old city of Jerusalem. Arabs sometimes use the term to designate the surrounding area; Jews refer to that area as the Temple Mount.
Organizations on Islam
Green Muslims seeks to inspire Muslims to educate themselves about the environment and be stewards of the earth. It works with mosques and Muslim student associations across the U.S.
Project Sakinah is a Muslim organization dedicated to stopping domestic abuse of all kinds in the family unit.
The Peaceful Families Project produces workshops nationwide on domestic violence from a Muslim perspective. The organization is based in Great Falls, Virginia. Lina Hashem is president.
The Inner City Muslim Action Network is a small nonprofit serving Chicago’s South Side and Southwest communities. Prisoner re-entry is among its programs.
Amana Funds are mutual funds designed to meet the needs of Muslim investors.